I am obligated, what next?
If any of the actions mentioned above apply to you, then your company will have a number responsibilities under the WEEE regulations, primarily to finance the recycling of electrical products when they come to end-of-life.
Some of your obligations will depend on how much EEE you are placing on the UK market. For example if you place less than 5 tonnes of finished products onto the UK market, you are deemed a small producer and have slightly reduced obligations.
As an obligated WEEE producer, here’s what you need to do:
- Register with the authorities. Small producers are able to register directly, whilst large producers must register through a compliance scheme like B2B Compliance. A lot of small producers choose to use B2B Compliance too, for the peace of mind knowing that they will be guided through the process and support is at hand whenever needed.
- Label your products with the crossed out wheelie bin symbol
- Report data on the total weight of EEE that you have placed onto the UK market – this may be annually or quarterly, depending on your products. To do this, you need to correctly scope your individual products into the right reporting category, classify as household (B2C) or non-household (B2B) depending on it’s function, and consider any exclusions or exemptions for your products.
- Finance WEEE recycling – how you do this is determined by whether your products are designed for domestic or commercial applications.
- Communicate your Producer Registration Number (issued after your first registration) to your distributors
- Be prepared to provide treatment information to recycling facilities (also known as Approved Authorised Treatment Facilities) should they request information on how to recycle your products
- If you are selling domestic electrical items directly to end users, you may also have obligations as a distributor, including providing consumer information and taking back products at end-of-life
Any questions on how to meet your obligations? Find out more about how we can help you.